Thursday, April 16, 2015

Week Thirty Three - Modern China Continued

This Week


It was fun on Thursday hearing about all of the things students did while on their internships on Wednesday! I heard about making coasters with an etching tool, playing with some pretty impressive video games at the Air Force Research Lab, and even heard my new favorite student say how hard it was to be a teacher after she shadowed one yesterday! One student even shadowed my brother, a writer for Naked Lime, a subsidiary of Reynolds and Reynolds that produces The News Wheel. All in all I was jealous about all the opportunities students got to take advantage of yesterday!

In terms of actual classwork, this week was spent finishing up the movie, To Live, and beginning two of the three readings we still have on Modern China. Students were given class time to complete these readings on Thursday and will have time on Friday as well.

Of course I can't forget to mention that Eddie Love and Ray Hampton placed 2nd in the Max May Memorial Art Competition, and Eddie was on hand to receive the award this past weekend at the Beth Abraham Synagogue. It was a great event and the Holocaust survivors who spoke were very moving. Check out some of the pictures, below.

A cool piece of art from another school

Many of our students' posters were on display

Here is Eddie's and Ray's poster

Eddie receiving the award for he and Ray, delivered by Renate Frydman, granddaughter of the Max May Memorial Art Competition's namesake, Max May

Eddie with his family!

Upcoming Week


I'm still allowing students to visit the museum, and I have to say that one student and her mother have set the bar quite high for letting me know they visited the Dayton Art Institute's Chinese exhibit. While you don't have to go quite this far, the extra effort is definitely appreciated, and I hope you have a chance to check it out as well!

Nice job Sophia and Mrs. Lucas! This is awesome! If this doesn't make you want to visit, I don't know what will.
There are some more pictures to show of others who went to visit the museum too!





We will be continuing with our studies of Modern China next week as we look at the Tiananmen Square protests, the artist Ai Wei Wei, and the challenges of Taiwan. Students were given their homework today for the Plan E day, so they should not need to log into Pilot or Pilot Live next Monday.

Also, I'm excited to announce that I'll be gone (that's not why I'm excited) next Friday because my students placed 1st for the second year in a row in the annual Junior Council on World Affairs competition, so we'll be traveling to Washington DC next week!

Have a great weekend.

~ Mr. Grieve

No comments:

Post a Comment